Tuesday 13 October 2015

BatB - More Than Just a TV Show

I woke this morning feeling positive about many things.  No matter the day’s lesson to learn, or tribulation that would surface, in reflection of the day’s events I know I always try to find something good, something that I want to remember and sometimes, something to reflect on that has taught me a new life lesson.

Already this morning I know that although I am currently sitting at home because I don’t feel all that great, I am and was at home to get the news that my favorite TV show is coming to an end and would not be renewed for a 5th season.  Although the show ending devastates me beyond what many would call reason, the positive is that I am home and that I get to process what this actually means to me and my life. 

Many of you may think, so what!  It’s a television show, it’s happened before and it will happen again and just get over it but, this is where I believe that not to be true.  This TV show was more than just people acting out characters on a screen, bringing to life whatever story line was written for that episode.  This show introduced me to a whole other world that I would never have known existed without it.

Through it, I have “met” some people that will be lifelong friends.  People whom have always shown me love and support.  They guided me, advised me, inspired me and have been there for me.  We have disagreed, agreed, drooled, dreamed and fantasized about the story lines and chemistry of the actors on our screen.  We have bounded together and fought for the show that everyone said was not worthy of renewal but we fought together and managed to get a 4 season show.  I didn’t necessarily agree with the plot lines of the show and sometimes I totally disagreed with the arch of a characters story, but…. Regardless of what was happening in this fantasy world, my real world was still knocking on my door and at times, bulldozing it to the floor.

Had it not been for this TV show, I don’t know that I would have been able to make it through this year as “positively” as I have.  It is amazing to know that all I have to do now is sit at my computer and there are a number of people that I can reach out too. It doesn’t matter what time it is or whether I am dressed up to the nines or wearing trackies (sweats), I have friends that are 24 hours a day there for me.  I don’t know if there are many people that can say that.  If it weren’t for this TV show, the support that has helped me through this year would never have existed.  Where would I be now if that were the case?

Throughout this year I have received flowers, notes, gifts, little emoticons waving at me or sending me hearts in private messages, I have had messages of support, words of wisdom and encouragement that whatever I was experiencing at the time would pass.  And it’s true, I have learned that time is an amazing thing as it enables us to step away, analyse and rethink, but the love and support from the people sending the messages to me never wavered over time and remained my constant. 

Sometimes I have felt unworthy of the friendships and felt that it has totally been one sided for them.  They are always there for me, but was I there for them?  For this I am truly sorry and I want them to know, that regardless of what is going on in my life, good, bad, ugly or indifferent, that I will always be there to return to them, what they have previously and unselfishly given to me.  I don’t want one sided friendships, I want to be like VinCat and overcome life’s tribulations together, supported and encouraged always. 

When I first got the news that my TV show was going to end, I asked myself these questions; what do you to when your world goes dark and you feel that your soul is being ripped from your heart?  When something that has helped you through a tough time is gone, not returning and now I feel like am going to fall apart again.  What now, will be my anchor in the storm of my life and what do I do now that my secret fantasy world on which I have found inspiration to write again will be gone?  Is it worth me ranting and raving at all that this is just so wrong that a TV show that bought about the rebirth in the belief that love does exist for us and united people around our world’s globe, gave us all something in common and many of us somewhere to call home on the fan pages, is coming to an end?

I’ve lost a lot this year in all different aspects of my life.   I have reached the highest of highs but then struggled with my own truth and found myself in the depths of despair.  I have questioned my very existence and the meaning of my life and even asked myself am I happy.  I have questioned my worth, my values, my beliefs, my understanding and my motives.  I have even questioned my ideals, and at times my memories.  I have doubted everything about what I believed was the essence of the person I have become over the years. 

I have realized that it doesn’t matter what was in my past, it doesn’t matter where I went wrong, or where I may have made a good or a bad decision.  It doesn’t matter if my memories are based on fact or fiction, or even if they are different from another who saw the same event remembers it.  It doesn’t matter if I have millions in the bank or struggle to find 5 cents at the end of every pay cycle and it certainly doesn’t matter if I have nice nails and perfectly plucked eyebrows.  It doesn’t matter what came before this very minute.  All that matters, at the end of the day, is that I stay positive and believe that with love, support, guidance and for being open to learning from every person that has come into my life including those from BatB, that anything is possible. 

BatB was a television show, in essence that has enabled me to look back, reflect, improve or remodel myself.  I may have an amazing support system when it comes to my family and the awesome man in my life, but they aren’t always awake, and sometimes, they don’t want to listen because they believe they have heard it all before.  Truth be known, they probably have.  Sometimes it is because they know me so well, that they can be prejudiced in our interactions, in their advice and in their unconditional love for me.

I feel that through living my life as honestly and as passionately as I can, that I am living.  It doesn’t matter how I met you or even if I have only ever spoken to you via a message on a computer screen, I feel that you are now a part of me.  You are all a piece of me that makes me the person I am.  I have listened to your words of encouragement, reflected on your words of wisdom and reciprocated your words of love and support and I am so much more because of each of you.

But with the end of this TV show that has given me so much, my biggest hope is that I remember the things I have learned about myself and that I don’t lose those amazing people that I have found.  I can’t express exactly what each of you mean to me and I can’t express, although totally devastated by the loss of our show, just how much I look forward to continue sharing our lives with each other.  I can’t wait for the next chapter.  We will always have our TV show to remind us that passion is good, that love is worth believing in and that fighting to stay together means that you can accomplish anything.  BatB has rekindled my love for writing, my desire to be worth fighting for and the understanding that my hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow can be realized. 

It may have only been a TV show, but it has been one of the greatest lessons in my life thus far. It has taught me so many things about myself.  It reminded me that I can be passionate and that passion can be exciting.  I can fight for what I believe in and I can be…, all and anything that I want to be.  Because of the show’s essence and realization of destiny and because of the friendships that have been born from falling in love with a TV show and sharing that love with like-minded people, Beauty and the Beast (2012) will always be more than just “a TV Show” to me.

12 comments:

  1. From Christine Petroff on Facebook:
    Seriously I need more tissue. Thank you for this. I felt as if you had read my heart and your words were mine. It seriously is more than a TV show. It's been a life changing and building experience for so many. Thanks for putting this so beautifully into words Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Mary Roushias-Georgaras on Facebook:
    I just read your amazingly well written heartfelt blog & it felt as though you reached into my heart & soul & blurted out exactly how I felt about the show & the friendships I had made. That was why it hurt so very much, when it all fell apart for me over the last few months! Thank you hun, I'll always be here too

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Kristen on Twitter:
    12m12 minutes ago
    "@Jarneen you put this "show" in perspective perfectly. Much love and forever friends #BATB"

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Angie Brush on Facebook:
    "Wonderful Janeen,Thank You for these heartfelt words.I also have been blessed by 2 shows & both happen to have the same name Beauty & the Beast.1987 version & ours today.To say we will get over it is not going to happen,25 years between the 2 is a long time there will never be another show like this that will have the same effect on people unless it's called Beauty & the Beast in the next 25 years."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these beautiful words Jay.Thank you for always being there for me too. Looking back on these past few years, good times, and bad (and there were only a very few bad) , I am still amazed at beautiful friendships made, Batb is more than just a TV Show- it has brought us together, and friends will remain friends forever, and hopefully someday, we'll meet in person.Looking forward to every single minute left and to S4 :) Friends forever, love you, always here for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Krissy on Facebook:
    You are always so awesome at capturing the essence of this wonderful BatBFANmily. Thank you from the bottom of my heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written Jay. It's exactly how I feel. #Batb is more than just a tv show and we all fell in love with it for many reasons. It captured my heart and gave me the strength I needed to escape & cope with some very dark times. It became my obsession, my passion and gave me so much joy. I still ask myself how is it possible that fictional characters can mean so much? The truth is, yes the characters are truly amazing, but what made this journey so incredibly special is the people I have gotten to know through this beautiful show. These wonderful Beasties who I'm proud to now call my dear friends , thank you soooo much for everything!!!! Because of #Batb i have found you and for that I'm eternally grateful and no other show will ever mean to me as much or come close. I love you my Batb fanmily!!! You'll all be forever be in my heart. The show may have ended but memories live forever ❤❤❤❤. Love you all. Sin bella xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your deepest emotions and feelings. Beauty and the Beast was and will remain so much more than a TVShow.... a real Universal Testimonial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am grateful that alot of us bonded over the years and true friendships emerged and no doubt will remain. I feel a gratitude towards the show that made it possible. I love you Ms J and am grateful for your beautiful stories and poetry that I would have never known if not for our show.
    Let us celebrate US!

    X Dutch

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janeen, so well written! You always manage to put your feelings on paper in such a beautiful way. I'm also very grateful I have found these amazing friends bc of a TV show. Which is not just a TV show for me either. I never fell in love with a TV show like I am now before, I'm hooked. But that's not only bc of the show itself, it's also bc of what it brought me. Amazing friends who I will always treasure, also after BatB ends. And BatB and my friends will always be in my heart. So I will always be here. Love you!
    Ina xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jay, as you know, my RL has been hectic lately and I've just read your beautiful sentiments. So true, my dearie, so true. This beautiful little show has given us so much, in so many ways. I'm so grateful for your friendship and the friendship of all my "dearies". So, yes, let's not be sad but look at all the positives that batb has given us...and we have S4 to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Debbie on Facebook:
    Janeen, I just read your words from your heart and the amazing wonder of them is the truth flows out about what you've endured, how you've grown to look at yourself, your life and the fact that it doesn't matter if you've been here or dealing with RL, friends are always going to be just that and never, ever expect an apology or explanation. I love how you described BATB as not just another TV show. BATB defies all logic on that. The finality of reading the words that Season 4 will be its last is a crushing blow, but your being positive in what has been an incredible up and down journey is the family you've made here forever. What Angie said about the first BATB, the length of time in between, and this passionate connection to VinCat today, will last a lifetime. There were definitely rough patches, but you weathered them in true Janeen fashion. You are my inspiration, as well as all my dear sisters, to face any adversity with courage, crying through grief, obsessing over shirtless Vincent, and by the way, that will Never, Ever, be an Obsession since it is probably on everybody's Bucket List. I will always be here for you, just a holler away. I have learned and benefited from you and will be forever grateful. From one soul sister to another! Love You Always xxoo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my Blog. May the sun always shine on you, even if it is the darkest of days.